Title: Chilli and green veg
Meal type: Lunch
Macronutrients: Carbs – 9 Protein – 40 Fat – 24
These macronutrients are based on a 200g serving of mince meat with 100g of broccoli and 100g of green beans. There are options to alter the macronutrients/calories at the bottom of the article.
Ingredients: Lean mince beef (I use 1kg to make 5 portions), uncle Ben’s chilli con carne sauce, coconut oil, frozen broccoli, frozen green beans
Before I go through how to make it, I just want to go through my rationale for this meal and it’s ingredients.
1. First of all this meal is quick to batch cook, I do like cooking but when I’m cooking meals for the week I don’t want to spend 5 hours in the kitchen. 2. Mince meat is a cheap source of protein and you can opt for various amounts of fat based on your goals (lean, extra lean, standard). 3. Uncle Ben’s sauce is not perfect but it has all natural ingredients, no preservatives or artificial flavours. It has slightly more sugar than I’d like but I only use a small amount of the sauce so it’s not an issue. 4. It tastes good.
How to make:
- Coconut oil and mince meat in the pan. Turn to a medium heat
- Stir mince as it starts to brown, add some seasoning/herbs if you desire
- Pour on sauce (I use half a jar for 1kg of mince, it doesn’t look like much but it spreads well)
- Leave to simmer
- Cook broccoli and green beans, either use a a microwave or boil them
- Allow to cool and store in fridge for the next 3-4 days.
To alter the dynamics of the meal you can add more fat by choosing a standard beef mince, adding butter to the veg or possibly adding some feta cheese.
To increase carbohydrates you could have brown/basmati rice.
Direct questions to @bencullen_ on twitter